Monday, October 18, 2010

Who Let the Truck In, or Welcome to Chemo

I had my first chemo treatment exactly one week ago. When I have chemo, I get to go sit in a fairly comfortable room for 5 hours hooked up to an IV and watch reruns on TV. Not so bad - I brought magazines, my Nintendo DS, and the hubby. All in all, not a bad experience. A little boring, got to take a nap, and then came home. What I really was anticipating thereafter was a couple of days of downtime, maybe tired, maybe nauseous, and then back to my normal self.

I woke up the next morning feeling a little achy, so I walked a couple of small laps around our neighborhood park to loosen up, went to Starbucks with the hubby, and informed my family via text that this chemo thing was not so bad.

Somehow, that night, the chemo truck made it's way up to my second-story bedroom and proceeded to run me over. A few times. It didn't just run me over and go on it's way. It ran me over, threw it in reverse, and ran me over again. Since then, I have had bone pains and muscle aches mainly, only slight nausea (thank goodness), and completely no energy. I joked to the hubby that I didn't feel sick until they were trying to make me better!

I am discovering that I am going to have to adjust to a new "normal" for awhile. I need to let the very willing, loving people in my life take care of me for a change, at least temporarily. And it's kind of a nice change. After taking care of everyone else for so long, it's nice to be taken care of. More moms should have this luxury (minus the chemo). My energy will come back, and then, watch out! I am counting my blessings everyday - more on that next time.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Miss A, the chemo truck sounds awful. We'll send our warm fuzzies in your direction that this whole process is swift and over as soon as possible! We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angie, hang in there. That chemo truck does sound awful. When you start feeling better give me a call, so that we can go to starbucks and hang while the little ones are at school :)

    ReplyDelete